Sunday 12 August 2007

Enemy


The Enemy... A band to sweat with, to struggle with. A band from the working class for the working class. Their album "We'll Live And Die In These Towns" has the Jam's sparkle. As for the lyrics, when I first listened to "Away From Here", it reminded me immediately of Clash's "Career Opportunities" and that's a big compliment.

AWAY FROM HEREI'm so sick, sick, sick and tired
Of working just to be retired
I don't want to get that far
I don't want your company car
Promotions aint my thing
Name badges are not interesting
It's much easier for me see
To stay at home with Richard and Judy
Awayaway oh oh oh away from here...

CAREER OPPORTUNITIEST
he offered me the office, offered me the shop
They said I'd better take anything they'd got
Do you wanna make tea at the BBC?
Do you wanna be, do you really wanna be a cop?
Career opportunities are the ones that never knock
Every job they offer you is to keep you out the dock
Career opportunity, the ones that never knock...

Nuzzprowlinwolf, one of my favourite bloggers, has already offered a bunch of Enemy's early singles, B-sides and session stuff.I'll have two uploads related to the Enemy. The first one is a very good live performance (and recording) from the Specials, the best group that has come out from the Enemy's hometown, Coventry, while the second one will be Jam's "In The City" which is obviously a major influence for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment